Tuesday 2 July 2013

Barg of the Week: Abandoned Banisters

Hey everyone!

I'm sorry for my absence over the past week, I've been extremely busy preparing for a massive house project which my entire family will be participating in this summer (details to be announced soon). As such my writing has been pushed back, but things are a bit calmer now, so I'm happy to bring you another interesting Barg of the Week:


So I was on my way back from town, after having made a trip to purchase some materials for a project. On my way to the car park, I was distracted by a large skip beside a pub, which was getting gutted out for refurbishment. For the most part when I peer into skips I just see unsalvageable junk - broken plasterboard, wallpaper strips, broken bricks - nothing too exciting.

But I was in for a surprise! This particular skip was piled high with what appeared to be the pieces of an old stair banister. Gorgeous turned wood spindles and grand end posts. It was tragic to see them cast out, destined for landfill. But no-one was around...could I just take them?

I waited for about 10 minutes, and finally two lads emerged from the building, carrying a grimy carpet. I sidled up to them, and asked with all the boldness I could muster if I could salvage the wood. The guys grinned, evidently amused that a young girl dressed in heels and a smart blazer would want an old staircase. But oh, I really did:


They even helped me load it all into the car, and stopped a passerby who thought he'd get in on the freebies from taking a handful of spindles. Sorry dude, I got there first! Skip etiquette and all that.

I've been thinking long and hard about different ways in which I could upcycle this lovely wood. Do you have any suggestions for me? I look forward to giving these interesting pieces of interior architecture a new lease of life.

2 comments:

  1. If you could get someone to bore away the inner, it can be used as a container. Otherwise, chair legs or candle stands.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the great suggestions! Chair legs crossed my mind, but not candle sticks. Some awesome ideas there :)

      Delete